Pet Rescue, Shelter, and Adoption

Our Programs
Mission Statement
Homeward Pet is a nonprofit, no-kill animal shelter serving the Seattle area.
Our mission is to give homeless animals a second chance through our rescue, shelter, and adoption programs.

23 Years of Animal Rescue and Adoption!
We were founded in 1990 under the name "Hooterville Pet Safehaus". We started with simple goals: save and re-home cats and dogs and educate the public about spaying and neutering their pets.

In 2002 Hooterville became Homeward Pet Adoption Center. We are a NO-KILL shelter serving the Greater Seattle area. Each year Homeward helps over 1,400 cats and dogs find their forever home. Where do these animals come from? 40% are owner surrenders and the other 60% are transferred in from rescue organizations and shelters that euthanize.

We remain small with a staff of 19 (half are part time). And our 350+ volunteers are our backbone (thank you volunteers and donors!). Many of the rescued animals who come to Homeward get more love and attention in our shelter than they have ever known.

Celebrate with us! Our shelter continues to grow and improve. Drop by and get to know us better!

Programs

Adoption
With as many as 50 dogs and cats available at any given time and over 1,400 animals adopted out annually, we seek to promote no-kill alternatives through our innovative programs.  All of the animals receive full medical and behavioral evaluations, and our adoption staff is adept at working with people to ensure their new family member’s successful transition into a permanent, loving home.

Animal Rescue and Transfers
We take animals in from a number of places – overcrowded area shelters, surrenders from local families that can no longer care for their dog/cat, and rescue groups throughout the state. We focus on giving homeless, abandoned, and sometimes abused animals a second chance at a healthy, happy life with a caring guardian.

Rehabilitation
Medical While at Homeward Pet, animals that have any behavioral issues coming out of animal shelters are retrained and rehabilitated to become better companions in their new homes. After the adoption, Homeward is always there to help with behavior consultations, positive reinforcement dog training classes, and any other advice an adopter may need. 

Medical and Spay/Neuter Clinic
Homeward’s on-site veterinary team assesses the health of each animal and provides appropriate treatment and vaccinations. In addition, we spay/neuter all of the animals that come through our shelter, so that future guardians can be educated about and benefit from this service that prevents more animals from ending up in shelters around the country.

Volunteering and Foster Care

Foster

Homeward Pet Adoption Center simply could not survive without the help of dedicated, caring animal lovers who generously volunteer at the shelter each week. From bottle-feeding motherless kittens to answering phones to offering foster care to our special needs animals, our volunteers improve the quality of life for the homeless pets that are sheltered at Homeward every year.

In an effort to give back, we support high school requirements for community service. For more information about how to become a volunteer, please click here.



Continued Care
We can be the guardian of your pet in case of death or illness. Pet owners in the community can bequeath their animals to us in a will and we’ll make sure they find a wonderful new home (some restrictions of course).

Community Awareness
At Homeward Pet, we strive to provide a safe and healthy transition home to the animals we rescue and adopt out, but we hope that our mission inspires others in the Seattle community to learn more about animal needs and how to raise and live with a healthy and happy animal. To this end, we regularly send out tips on animal safety and care as well as make our services like the clinic and animal trainers available to members of the community.
Home    ::   Adopt   ::    Volunteer  ::   Donate  ::    Spay & Neuter   ::  About Us
Copyright © Homeward Pet Adoption Center. We are an approved 501(c)3 charity. All rights reserved.