Pet Licensing


As an animal welfare organization operating in King County, and supporter of pet registration programs, it is Homeward Pet Adoption Center’s policy to supply adoption information to Regional Animal Services of King County. 

Who needs a King County pet license?

King County pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats 8 weeks of age or older in all unincorporated King County and the following cities: Auburn (in city limits), Beaux Arts, Bellevue, Black Diamond, Carnation, Clyde Hill, Covington, Duvall, Enumclaw, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kent, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Maple Valley, Mercer Island (dog licenses only), Newcastle, North Bend, Redmond, Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, Tukwila, Woodinville and Yarrow Point.

Even indoor-only cats or pets confined to fenced yards can get loose and their licenses help assure you can be reunited with them.

 How does a King County pet license benefit my pet and me?

1. Found pets are reunited quickly with their owner. To report a found pet, please call the Found Pet Information Line 206-296-2712.

2. Your pet gets a free ride home the first time it is found. County staff will attempt to deliver your pet home to you immediately, skipping a trip to the animal shelter.

3. Your pet gets a longer care period. When found, your licensed pet will be cared for onger at the County Animal Shelter, giving you more time to be reunited.

4. You and your pet get the Vacation Pet Alert. When you leave home on vacation, call 206-296-2712 to register where your pet will be while you are on vacation, who will be taking care of your pet and where to reach you.

5. Your pet can be picked up at no charge. Your dog or cat will be picked up from your home at no charge if you need to release your pet to King County Animal Control.

6. License fees support the return of more than 2,500 lost pets to their homes and help adopt 5,000 homeless pets to new families every year. Other services funded by pet licenses are investigation of animal neglect or cruelty, spay/neuter programs to reduce pet over-population, and community education services.

To obtain a King County pet license: Visit www.kingcountygov/safety/regionalAnimalServices.aspx, click “License Your Pet”. You can apply online or in person (click “Licensing Locations”).  For more information, contact Regional Animal Services of King County at 206-296-PETS (7387).

PAWS also issues King County pet licenses.  Visit, click “Cats & Dogs”, “Other Services”, “ID Tags & Licenses”.

Within King County, many cities issue their own pet licenses. If you live in one of the cities listed below, you’ll need to obtain a city-issued pet license (instead of a King County license):


Algona:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”

Auburn:  www.petdata/com/for-pet-owners/aub

Bonney Lake:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”


Burien:, click “I Want To…”, “Apply For”, “Pet License”.

Des Moines:, click “How Do I…?”, “Apply for a…”, “Pet License”

Edgewood:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”

Federal Way:, click “How Do I…?”, “Pay For”, “Pet License”

Hunts Point (through City of Medina):, click “Online Forms”, “Medina Animal License Application”., click “Online Forms”, “Medina Animal License Application”.

Milton:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”

Normandy Park: , click “I Want To…”, “Pet License”

Pacific:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”

Puyallup:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”
Renton:, click “Living”, “Pets and Animals”, “Animal License”.
Also available at Seattle Humane Society,

Seattle: or, click “License”.             Also available at PAWS and PAWS Cat City,

Sumner:, click “Care For My Pet”, “License My Pet”


Who needs a Snohomish County pet license? A Snohomish County pet license is required for all adult dogs and cats residing in unincorporated Snohomish County and the city of Everett. 

 To obtain a Snohomish County pet license:
Visit, click “How Do I…”, “Pet License”.

The Everett Animal Shelter also issues Snohomish County pet licenses.  Visit, click “Everett Pet Licensing”.

Within Snohomish County, many cities issue their own pet licenses.  If you live in one of the following cities, you’ll need to obtain a city-issued pet license (instead of a Snohomish County license):, click “How Do I…”, “Obtain a Dog License”

 Bothell, click “Police/Fire”, “Animal Control”

 Darrington:  Apply at City Hall, 1005 Cascade Street.

 Edmondshttp://www.petdata/com/for-pet-owners/edm, click “Everett Pet Licensing”.

 Gold, click “City Services”, “Animal Control”, “Animal Licenses”

 Lake Stevens:, click “Community”, “Community Resources”, “Animal Control”, “Pet Licensing”, click “Public Safety”, “Contacts & Services”, “Animal Control”, click “I Want To”, “Free Dog or Cat License”

 Mill, click “How Do I…?”, “Pet License”, click “Government”, “Services”, “Licensing”, “Animal”

 Mountlake, click “Customer Services”, “Pet Licenses”.
Also available at PAWS and PAWS Cat City,

 Mukilteo:  Apply at Mukilteo Police Department, 10500 47th Pl. W., click “I Want To”, “Dog License”, click “City Departments”, “Finance”, “Dog Licenses”, click “Permits & Licenses”, “Licenses”, “Lifetime Dog/Cat License”


Contact Information
Adoption Hours:
Our Address:
Wed - Sun, 12 - 6pm
P.O. Box 2293
13132 NE 177th Place
Woodinville, WA 98072
Homeward Pet Adoption Center is a non‑profit, no‑kill animal shelter. Our mission is to give homeless animals a second chance through rescue, shelter, and adoption.